Yesterday in Athens was simply spectacular. The atmosphere all day long was second to
none as far as I’m concerned. College
Gameday was in town and set up just around the corner from our tailgate. The weather was beautiful, the crowd was one
of the best I’ve ever been a part of, and the Dawgs pulled out the victory!
It’s hard to know where to begin with this game. Murray was fantastic yesterday completing
nearly 60% of his passes for 298 yards and 4 TDs. Furthermore, he led his team down the field for
a TD when LSU had taken the lead with just over 4 minutes remaining in the
game. I hope all the talk of “Richt and
Murray can’t win the big game” has been put to rest. September’s not even over with and the Dawgs
have beaten the #6 ranked team TWICE.
After the Dawgs made a special teams blunder (or two) in
each of their first 3 games, they took advantage of LSU’s mistake on that punt
return. That was a huge play and really
countered the turnover we had earlier in the game.
I thought Cam Cameron outcoached Todd Grantham yesterday. In my opinion, that LSU offense was more
prolific than Clemson and South Carolina.
Mettenberger was threading the needle on certain throws and both of
their starting WRs (Jarvis Landry & Odell Beckham) will be playing on
Sundays. They were killing us with that
crossing route all game. On a positive
note our run defense was solid and we were able to sack Mettenberger 4
times. More importantly you have give
credit to the Dawgs getting the stop they had to have when the game was on the
line.
At one point, I saw 5 true freshman on the field sprinkled
in with many sophomores and redshirt freshman.
These young players are getting better each game. Josh Harvey-Clemons (sophomore) had 15
tackles, 1.5 TFL, and a pass break-up.
Tray Matthews (freshman) made 2 great hits that broke up what would have
been long completions for 1st downs.
Leonard Floyd (freshman) and Jordan Jenkins (sophomore) both had big
sacks in the 4th quarter.
Everywhere you look on defense you see young, talented players that are
only going to get better with some playing time.
Speaking of Floyd, he is now tied for 3rd in
sacks among SEC players while Clowney is 9th. I never would have guessed that before the
season.
I’ve harped on the fact that holding is rarely called
anymore when it seems very obvious on certain plays but apparently those
officials yesterday have a different understanding than I do of what
constitutes pass interference. Don’t get
me wrong, UGA got away with it on a couple of occasions but I bet LSU could
have been flagged for it at least a handful of times.
If you had told me before the season that Georgia would face
3 Top 10 teams in the first 29 days of the season and win 2 out of 3 with the
only loss being a 3 point road game I would have taken it in a heartbeat. Georgia is just the 5th team in
the last 15 years to defeat 2 Top 10 teams before October 1st. Through week 5, Georgia has played the
toughest schedule in the nation according to the Sagarin ratings.
Georgia’s offense is playing at a very high level. The Dawgs are averaging over 41 points per
game. When you think about the
competition we’ve faced (3 Top 10 teams) and the fact that our two best offensive
playmakers have missed all (Malcolm Mitchell) or a good portion (Todd Gurley)
of those games it’s really mind boggling.
Coach Mike Bobo certainly doesn’t get the respect he deserves.
LSU had played 63 straight games without allowing 40+ points
prior to Saturday’s game. The last time
they allowed at least 40 points was in 2008.
The opponent? UGA. The Dawgs won in Death Valley in October 2008
52-38 with Matthew Stafford, Knowshon Moreno, AJ Green, and company. However, the defense scored 14 of those 52
points that day with Darryl Gamble
picking off two passes and returning both for TDs.
I certainly hope that Todd Gurley gets healthy soon. He is such a punishing runner and while he
was very durable last year (missing no significant time in 14 games) he has
already missed a big portion of two games so far this season.
Georgia should be favored in every game from here on out but
I believe this week’s game against Tennessee is a trap game. The Dawgs are coming off an emotional win
versus LSU and now have to travel to Knoxville.
Butch Jones is looking for his signature win in his 1st
season and he will pull out all the stops to upset the Dawgs. I very vividly remember Tennessee upsetting
Georgia in 2004 the week after an emotional win over LSU. I hope the Dawgs are done celebrating the win
and ready to get to work on this week’s gameplan. The only thing that makes me feel better is
that John Jancek and Willie Martinez are running their defense.
My only non-Dawg, CFB thought this week is now that USC was
the 1st to drop the hammer on their coach, who is next – Texas or
Nebraska?
Good stuff, D... hate to say it- but you have to tip your hat to Mettenburger, too. He's obviously had this game on his "whiteboard" for a while and he played with a lot of heart.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely agree Casey. I figured that Mettenberger would either let his emotions get the best of him and play poorly or he would be very focused and play lights out. He made some unbelievable throws and definitely helped his draft status on Saturday.
ReplyDelete